1550 Paris

Click on to see detailed views

The Truschet map of Paris, commissioned in the 1550s by Germain Hoyau under the reign of Henri II, is the most beautiful depiction of Paris of its era, but it was lost to the world until the late-nineteenth century. Olivier Truschet painstakingly engraved the eight plates for this map into wood, from which the original prints were inked. What makes this map remarkable and of great historical importance is that it serves as a visual bridge from Paris’s medieval period to its wealthy, regal, Renaissance glory. It is a map about the serious struggle for religious power, but also one that is playful and attentive to quotidian details that instruct, delight, and, with gallows scattered across the city, inspire fear.